Oldoinyo Lengai Mountain.
Oldonyo Lengai Standing at 2,878 meters above the Soda Ash Lake Natron, Mountain of GOD as famous to the Maasai tribe community that live in the area, Mountain Ol’doinyo Lengai is located in the Ngorongoro highlands and the African Rift valley about 120 kilometers Northwest of Arusha, Tanzania.
Since the past ancestors the Holly Lengai has been used by Maasai for their prayer to their GOD known as NGAI. Ol’doinyo Lengai is the only active volcano in the world that erupt natrocarbonatite lava which is cooler than other lavas about (510 degrees C) compare to the temperatures of basaltic lavas (1,100 degrees C) with less silicon.
The Mountain frequently does minor eruptions and form cone like structures to its crater base. Lengai has erupted much more than other years in the year 2007.
While at the top of Mountain Ol’doinyo Lengai one can sight clearly the Soda Lake Natron which accommodates and consist of good nesting sites for different bird species especially the Flamingos, pelicans and geese more than 350 different types are recorded to date.
Unlike others two highest Mountains,Oldoinyo Lengai takes about six to seven hours to the summit crater. It is also an ideal place for a walking safari guided by the Maasai guides with weapons. Tourist can sight wild animals like olive baboon, velvet, monitor lizard, hyenas, lion, leopard, jackal, Grant’s gazelle, impala and zebra.
Your trek will take you close to the Maasai BOMAS that gives you a rare opportunity to interact with the indigenous learn their cultures, taboos and traditions.
Here are samples of the typical itinerary
3 DAYS – 2 NIGHTS
DAY 1:Drive from Arusha at 7.00 am and drive to Ngaresero village (Lake Natron) with picnic lunch box. This journey takes approximately 7 to 8 hours of drive in through bumpy and dust road . Dinner and overnight at Kamakia camp. Or similar.
DAY 2: Early morning 1:00 a.m. drive to the base of the Ol’doinyo Lengai mountain to start the climb. Reach at the summit during sunrise and spend few hours before coming down to the base of the mountain.
DAY 3: On descent, clients will be transferred by 4 wheel drive car to Kamakia camp or similar for shower and rest. Dinner and overnight at Kamakia camp. Breakfast then drive back to Arusha or proceed with safari to the nearby national parks like lake Manyara, tarangire national parks and Ngorongoro crater.
Rates start from US Dollars: 482.00
Supplement for solo climber: $ 150.00 per Climb.
INCLUDED IN THE ABOVE RATES ARE :
- 1 day Oldoinyo lengai Climb.
- 1 night Accommodation and meals at Natron River Camp
- Lake Natron Village fees.
- English speaking guide fees.
- Assistant Porters fees.
NOT INCLUDED ARE :
- Airport transfer on arrival / departure day.
- Transportation in a 4WD vehicle.
- Transfer Arusha to lake Natron before and after the climb as specified in the itinerary.
- Accommodation and meals in Arusha pre/post climb.
- Local and International Air Transportation
- Rescue fees
- Extra Kilograms in your main pack.( maximum allowed weight 15 kgs . extra kgs will be charged USD 5 per day )
- Personal climbing gears. i.e sleeping bags,walking sticks,head torch etc ( we have these itimes in our stock for hire)
- Items of a personal nature. i.e beverages, telephone,laundry, mineral.
- Visas, airport taxes